Our Founder Beatrice Martin Peck began advocating for the welfare of Franklin County's homeless animals in the early 1940's and continued to do so until her death in 1967. She founded the Franklin County Humane Society in 1946 and, through her own expense and effort, opened what is known today as the Bea Martin Peck Animal Shelter on the 19th of June 1949. At that time, it cost $60,000 to build what was considered a state-of-the-art shelter including an apartment to house the Animal Control Officer and his family. Today, it would cost nearly $500,000 to build a similar facility and today, the apartment is used to house animals awaiting permanent placement. Beatrice and her group of faithful supporters investigated reports of cruelty towards animals in the community, housed and cared for animals needing assistance, and established an adoption program for the community-all the while creating a living legacy that remains today. Prior to her efforts, the stray or otherwise unwanted animals were used for medical testing and had no voice. Beatrice's efforts led to the enactment of many ordinances and regulations regarding animal care that remain today.
...and how we've continued...
The Prairie Paws Animal Shelter inc is still a private, non-profit shelter operating by the same philosophy under which it was established over 50 years ago through the tireless efforts of its staff and volunteers.